Thursday, January 1, 2015

Randon thoughts

Awhile back I was asked to do a workshop in Relief Society.  I don't recall what the subject was, but I put together this list of Random Thoughts that I have had over the years and presented them.  For the New Year, I thought I would share them.  I think they still remain true to the things that I believe;  maybe you will find something helpful here. 


  • Patience is not just waiting things out.  It's moving on with your life and finding happiness in your current situation.  It's more than just letting time pass.

  • Gratitude is powerful.  It's at the center of our happiness.


  • You determine the experiences that you have in your life.  That's very powerful! We don't pick all the incidences that happen; but how we act, react, and our attitude we do pick.  Therefore we determine our experiences.  They can be filled with fear, anxiety, and anger, OR they can be filled with love, patience, faith, gratitude, and forgiveness.  It is our choice. 


  • When you are not controlled by emotions or circumstances, you have power.  When you let yourself be controlled by emotions or circumstances, you give all your power away.


  • Anger---when you get angry, you loose control of the situation.  It feels like the opposite, like you are taking control---but in reality you have lost control.  We sometimes get angry when something is amiss and needs to be resolved, but what we want is an effective outcome, not a loss of the situation. 

  • We do not know as much as we think we do.  Thinking that we know a lot does not bring peace of mind.  When we realize that we don't have all the answers, not even close, then you can put value and merit in the beliefs of others.  You will grow closer to them.  And by acknowledging that in reality we don't know much, it's easier to turn things over to God, or the powers that be. 

  • As a wife and mother I need to have a vision of what I want my family to be.  We are all part of each other.  If I attack, criticize, complain against, or judge any member of my family, I am attacking myself,  who I am.  Your family is who you are.
The following are from my Mormon faith, or I should say things that I learned for myself  when I was a practicing Mormon.  But I think I still believe in them today.  You decide for yourself.

  • When it seems that God is not answering your prayers for help---He's wanting to give you something.  Calm down, humble yourself and learn what it is He's trying to give you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

  • Pride, fear, and selfishness are enmity with God.  Love is the antidote to fear.  Did you know that?  Perfect love casteth out all fear.  Love is the antidote to all three: pride, selfishness, and fear.  Humility takes that enmity away with God.  Humility is power.  Power to do what? To tap into God's power.  To do what? To change us.

  • Christ is the author of our liberty.  He has unconditional love for us.  His never ending desire is to lead us to freedom and deliver us from bondage.  He is full of truth and his truth will make us free in every aspect of our life.  It is the adversary's goal to harden our heart so we no longer are receptive or guided by the Spirit, separating us from God.  How do we win this great battle for our freedom?  The word of God is the healing power.  It is sharp and piercing and can conquer all things.  Jesus said, "Whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me...I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world."  Christ offers us freedom and eternal life through his atonement.  All we have to do is believe Him, have faith in Him, believe the truths and freedom that He offers.

2 comments:

  1. Those are all good messages. I think I heard lots of good messages at church when I was a Mormon. What I needed to understand was that the LDS Church wasn't the source of wisdom or "truth." I wish I'd realized that sooner, but I'm sure glad I finally did. Happy New Year, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, Happy New Year to you too. I'm really hoping for a good year, one filled with peace, laughter, and love.

      Delete